back to top
Na Na Na Na Nightfury by sugarpoultry
Available on TeePublic: https://www.teepublic.com/show/46072-na-na-na-na-nightfury

Na Na Na Na Nightfury by sugarpoultry

Available on TeePublic: https://www.teepublic.com/show/46072-na-na-na-na-nightfury

sugarpoultry:

YES

Reblogging because…. I wish I wish….

sugarpoultry:

YES

Reblogging because…. I wish I wish….

(Source: reallyjustanotherslashfanatic)

tastefullyoffensive:

If Disney Princesses Were Actually Sloths by Jen Lewis

Previously: Nicolas Cage as Disney Princesses

I shouldn’t be laughing! XD Raj, tho.

You never cease to amaze me, bud by sugarpoultry
Sidewalk chalk art of Hiccup and Toothless. ;) 6 hours of work.

You never cease to amaze me, bud by sugarpoultry

Sidewalk chalk art of Hiccup and Toothless. ;) 6 hours of work.

Valka Cosplay WIP - Armor

The chest armor was made out of Sintra, another thermoplastic, but much stiffer and doesn’t stick to itself. Check out my friends tutorial on Sintra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC1LdVVLafw

I added normal craft foam on top of the sintra, and aged it with a heat gun and paint to make it look like leather. Again, carefully staying close to the reference, I got her little details down to a T. 

The arm band was shaped around a duct tape dummy of my arm, with added padding to give it that rounded shape that HTTYD characters have on their wrists and ankles. I used worbla and stretched it to fit the shape I wanted. I made claws out of FIMO (I recommend Apoxie sculpt cuz its more sturdy, but I ran out), and hot glue and wrap tightly with a small strip of worbla to secure it. I only had one claw fall off and it was because I didn’t use a thick enough piece of worbla around it, so, keep that in mind if you add spikes to worbla.

I once again wrapped it with craft foam, aged it with a heat gun (go easy so you don’t activate the worbla) and then paint. :)

Valka Cosplay WIP - The Helmet

The entire mask was made entirely of worbla, an excellent thermiplastic. If you don’t know anything about worbla, I highly recommend this tutorial video by Kamui Cosplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXme58f4Ibc Its a tutorial for a breast plate, but the basics behind learning to use worbla still applies. 

I didn’t have a base to shape this around, I just shaped it around my head piece by piece, section by section, carefully sticking as close as I could with my references. One thing I learned quickly, is that their head anatomy is (obviously) impossible, so having it shaped around a real human head changed the shape quite a bit from the original. 

I love how sticky worbla is to itself, so using a heat gun, I just cut out strips and applied it everywhere I needed, any shape, and it stuck together very well.

For the horns, I wrapped them around clay to get the shape I wanted, then removed the clay, keeping the horns hollow and light (also vulnerable) but I didn’t want any more weight on my head then I already had.

Once the horns were all on, I sought advise to get the gritty texture that her mask has, and found that just using hot glue all over, and blending it with the hot glue head, gave it the best look!

I tested acrylic paint and matte mod podge on a tiny scrap of worbla to make sure it had the right look, and it did, so I was ready to paint and seal! Once the paint was dry, I did another coat of krylon matte spray and then its done! :D

Valka Cosplay WIP - The Staff

I followed this tutorial by Kamui Cosplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O23TM-z0OXk I highly recommend watching it!

First I got accurate screen caps of the staff from pictures from the trailer and other promotional photos of Valka that showed her staff. I took them into Photoshop and outlined the shape perfectly, then printed in out and traced them onto cardboard.

Once I got the cardboard cut, I placed it on my little wooden walking stick. Just a simple one I got at a local camping/leather/craft store. I cut out the shape of where the wood would be, then hot glued it in tightly. 

The next step (the fun part) is the expanding foam. I just got a can at Home Depot for a few bucks. Took about a can and a half to do both ends. Just spray all over the cardboard area, covering everywhere you want your design to be.

Once its completely hard (wait a whole day) I used a electric turkey carver and trimmed it down to the shape I wanted. Carefully cutting right to wear the cardboard was.

For this next part, you can choose to do paper mache, I chose plaster bandages (because it was the day before the con and I didn’t want to run around finding free newspaper). You can sand it and mod podge/gesso it to harden it and smooth it out. Mine ended up being really bumpy, but it was sot of the look I was going for.

For the holes I just used an exacto knife and a dremil. One thing I wish I did, was drill the holes BEFORE I did the plaster cloth/paper mache. Would have saved me a step of using clay to fill in the holes.

Then the last steps is just adding the horns and details (I used apoxie sculpt) and then the paint. :)

This prop was incredibly sturdy, I never worried about it breaking the entire time of the con. :)

Thanks for reading!

My Valka cosplay. The entire thing is created by hand, out of sintra, worbla and craft foam. The only items not made by me were the shoes, pants and undershirt. Over 90 hours of work put into making the outfit. 

I premiered this costume at Fantasy Con in Salt Lake City, Utah July 3 - 5th.